Home Cinema Room - Secrets to success
Incorporating a quality home cinema room into a property can transform how you enjoy your home. By creating an audio visual system that complements your surroundings and delivers exceptional performance, your home will be the envy of most!
The term ‘cinema room’ means different things to different people, so take a moment to visualise what it means for you. To one person it is a bespoke, dedicated room used only for watching movies while for another it could simply mean adding a soundbar and sub-woofer to an existing TV set up in the living room. What everyone agrees on though, is that a well designed home cinema system allows you to enjoy your favourite movies, TV shows, sports and gaming like never before!
Define the purpose of the room
The starting point for a successful home cinema installation is always to establish what the room is going to be used for.
So think carefully about how you want to use the room.
Will it be a bespoke home cinema room, dedicated for home entertainment?
– If the rooms sole purpose is to create the best possible cinema experience, our focus would be on maximising the audio visual performance of the space and ensuring that the seating, lighting and furniture (bars etc) are designed to create the ultimate home bespoke home cinema room for your budget!
We can create dedicated cinema rooms in garages, basements, lofts, spare bedrooms, garden rooms – pretty much anywhere!
Does the room need to fulfil other purposes?
– Many people adapt existing spaces to create their home cinema system. Often a living room or snug area can have a home cinema system incorporated and this requires particular attention to be paid to overall aesthetics and functionality of the room. It might be unsightly to have a projector on the ceiling or speakers fixed to the walls when the system is not in use. By understanding how you want to use the space we can provide a range of innovative solutions from in wall speakers, invisible speakers, retractable screens and projectors that recess into the ceiling or even TV screens and speakers that double up as mirrors or artwork when not in use!
By defining how the room will be used, you can ensure you get the best solution.
Your Questions Answered
What size should a home cinema room be?
Define your budget
Once you have established the rooms purpose, you should think carefully about your budget. In the car industry, a Ford Fiesta will fulfil the same primary function as a brand new Ferrari – it will get you from A to B. However, the price and performance of both will be drastically different. Similarly, when creating a home cinema room there is little comparison between the performance of a top of the range 8K projector and a 1080P projector. They will both be good projectors and achieve excellent results relative to their cost but one might cost 10 x more!
We have a range of carefully selected manufacturers and products that we use to create the best possible home cinema systems for our clients, that can achieve almost any budget. For example, a custom fitted Sonance Sound Bar can deliver a staggering improvement to the audio performance on a modern TV for less than £600, but upgrading to the Sound Bar and Sub-Woofer package takes the performance up another level! By visiting our showroom you can experience the different levels and find what is right for you.
When considering a budget for a dedicated cinema room you should allow for 6 distinct elements. We have allocated % to each element to give you an idea of how a home cinema cost might be made up. However, this can vary widely and would depend on your priorities for the room – big music fans might value audio over projection, while movie or gaming enthusiasts might invest more in the visual side of the system. While incorporating a bar area and cinema style seating would mean the furnishings and installation costs would be higher proportionally. Our cinema designers will make sure we allocate your budget accordingly.
Design Service – 5%
– A relatively small investment at the start of the project can make sure speakers are positioned correctly and all the cabling infrastructure is in the right place. You should also consider the quality of HDMI cable required to enjoy your content. If you plan on watching 4K content then the HDMI must be able to support it. Fortunately, our team are THX trained in home cinema design!
Sound System (speakers, sub woofer, AV Receiver/Amplification) – 30%
– The ‘Star’ of any home cinema system is the audio and you need to make sure that each element is balanced. Ensure that you have enough amplification to maximise the performance of the speakers, otherwise you won’t get full value for your money. We will advise on the speaker arrangement and discuss the relative benefits of surround sound systems (such as 5.1 systems) versus a full Dolby Atmos set-up.
Projection System (Projector, screen) – 25%
– While the sound system creates the home cinema experience, the image on the screen often provides the Wow Factor! Take care that the projection screen is capable of showing off the projector capacity to its fullest. Purchasing a 4K projector and pairing it with a sub standard screen can be a mistake, and in some circumstances we might advise that a lower specification projector would actually give you better value for money overall. We will support you to ensure you have a balanced home cinema system.
Control System – 10%
– You might be happy controlling the system with individual remotes or you might want to invest in a control system that allows you to dim lighting, draw the curtains and fire up the movie at the touch of a button! We are trained in the design and installation of a range of systems including Savant, Loxone, Lutron, RTI and Rako so we can always select the right system for your room.
Furnishings (seating, carpets, wall decoration, lighting and acoustic treatment) – 15%
– You might want to invest in cinema style seating, coloured lighting and maybe a small bar too – we can help with everything! The furniture and materials in the room can have a big impact on acoustic performance. So while the overall look of the room will be down to your personal preference we can advise on placement and even some simple but effective acoustic treatments. We can do everything to help your create your perfect home cinema room.
Installation – 15%
– Great products don’t make great home cinema rooms! While we love all of the brands that we install, we firmly believe that trained, technical staff can create bespoke home cinema rooms that are more than the sum of their parts!
By having an understanding of your rooms purpose and budget we can create a bespoke home cinema system for you.
Your Questions Answered
How much does a home cinema room cost?
The million dollar question – and a million dollars could also be the answer! But don’t worry, fabulous home cinema rooms can be very affordable too! Excluding furnishings and installation (which are often project specific), you can have an entry level home cinema room system for under £5000. This would comprise a 5.1 audio system and 1080p projector and screen. Increasing your budget to £10000 could get you a 7.1 system, with 4K projection and some simple lighting control. While our stunning showroom 7.2.4 home cinema system retails for around £25000.
Get in touch
Leave your name and email below along with what you are looking for in the message box.